Sunday, December 04, 2011


For those who know me, you know I have spent almost every Thanksgiving of my life up at Wintergreen.  When you grow older and start your own family, traditions start to change a bit.  Not always a bad thing!  This year we spent Thanksgiving with Lee's family.  Danielle and Eric graciously hosted and we had a wonderful time.  Lee volunteered to cook the turkey.  He also made sweet potatoes and we brought some pie.  Small story about the turkey.......

Lee put the turkey in a brine for a few days prior to Thanksgiving.  He woke up at 5:45 that morning and pre-heated the oven to about 500 degrees.  He was going to roast the turkey at that high temp for about 15 minutes and then turn it down for the remainder of the time.  However, things didn't quite go as planned.  Something had fallen onto the bottom of the oven during a previous cooking spree so it began to burn to the bottom of the oven.  Smoke alarms began screeching around 6:00.  This is possibly the ONLY thing in the world that freaks out Farley.  He was a disaster!  Needless to say, I was awake at this point.....Farley was at my feet shaking like a leaf and crying like a baby.  Oh, the baby.....yeah, she was now wide awake and trying to figure out what was going on.  I went in to check on her and the alarm came back on.  This time, she began crying.  Farley was  attempting to crawl under her crib while she was trying to climb out.  Oh boy....what a fun morning!  Meanwhile, Lee was downstairs opening windows, trying to let all the smoke out of the house while fanning the smoke away from the smoke alarm!  Oy......what a crazy morning!  Olivia and I came downstairs and just hung out while Lee attempted to make sense of how much time the turkey had actually been in the oven at which temperature, etc.  At any rate, the alarm stopped for good and the 21 pound turkey cooked in about 2 1/2 hours!  Crazy!  Oh, and it took until about the 5th time of the alarm going off for Andrew to slowly emerge from his room.  We have since had a conversation about how he should probably come out of his room should the smoke alarm ever go off!  :)

Ok, back to the rest of the day!  Since the turkey was done so quickly, we didn't have much more we needed to do to get ready.  Lee wrapped the bird up in foil and wrapped it in towels before placing it in a cooler for transport.  We got to Danielle and Eric's around 1:30 and the festivities began!  So much much much fun!

The weather was unseasonably warm, so the annual football game was a lot more comfortable that previous years!

Olivia was loving the wide open backyard and took advantage!

What a blast she had!

I caught Nana reading to O!

After dinner, we sat around and chose names for the gift exchange for Christmas.  Lee snapped a few photos!

What a Happy Thanksgiving!!

No comments: